The Short Film Competition for University Students of the 3rd China - ASEAN University Students’Culture Week of the 21st Hainan International Tourism Island Carnival - will be officially launched on September 25, 2020. It is to promote creativity and culture exchange for University students in China, the ten ASEAN countries, countries along “Belt and Road”, Japan, and South Korea. It also serves to cultivate excellent creative talents in film industry and provides opportunities for international University students’culture exchange through short film.
1.Organizer: Department of Tourism, Culture, Radio, Television and Sports of Hainan Province.
2.Supporter: ASEAN-China Centre
3.Undertakers: Haikou University of Economics, Wardour Studios Academy of Haikou University of Economics.
5. Media Support: Hainan TV, Hainan Daily, Tencent，Hainan Special Zone Daily, Hinews, hainan.net, etc.
6. Theme of the Competition: “We are together”-- Display stories related to the theme occurred in cities through short film.
<1> Genre: Youth inspiration, campus, family, documentary, and cartoons.
<2> Length: 5 - 20 minutes.
<3> About the content:
- Works should be in line with the theme of the competition and tell the stories of "We are together" that happen in the city life of various countries from the perspective of short films.
- Works should be emotional, positive with distinct theme to encourage the creation of stories that have an emotional connection with the city. It should possess strong appeal and high communication value.
- Promoting positive energy is the ultimate goal for works. Pornography, violence, religion, racial discrimination, reactionary and illegal content, AD placements are not allowed to appear in the works.
- Works should be original, and participants should own the copyright. Do not use materials without copyright, or infringe all legal rights of third parties, including copyrights, trademark rights, etc. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited, and copycats will bear full responsibility once discovered. The organizing committee shall not be responsible for any legal liabilities arising from disputes including but not limited to portrait rights, reputation rights, privacy rights, copyrights, and trademark rights. In case of a legal dispute, the organizing committee reserves the right to cancel the qualification of the contestants and recover the award.
- Organizing committee and partner organizations are entitled to free non-profit display, broadcast, mass publishing, public welfare publicity and art education and other non-commercial activities in the global media, except for special declarations of outstanding works. The organizing committee has the priority to sign the excellent works and cooperate on agency.
- Chinese or English subtitles are required for short films.
<1> The original film of the work should include complete opening and closing, and all the crew information should be included in closing. The original work should be in the format of MP4, the no less than 1080P in
resolution, stereo. Both subtitled version and the non-subtitled version are required, and the subtitles should either be in Chinese or in English.
<2> The trailer or slots should be kept in 30 to 90 seconds in the format of MP4, no less than 1080P in resolution, stereo. Both subtitled version and the non-subtitled version are required, and the subtitles should either be in Chinese or in English.
<3> The poster should be provided in JPG format, no less than 1920×1080 in resolution for horizontal poster, 770×1080, for vertical poster.
<4> 5 Stills and 5 personal (group) photos of contestants in JPG format are required, no less than 1920×1080 in resolution, horizontal or vertical will be both accepted.
<5> Contestants should send the above-mentioned video and picture files in RAR or ZIP compressed package format by email or provide a network hard disk downloading link address.
Promise for participation
The works should own full rights, and there is no defect or limit of right. Participants should abide by The Soliciting Announcement for Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week, Copyright Commitment and Authorization of works in Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week, and the rules and requirements of the events published on the official website.
Best Short Film: 20,000 CNY
Best Director: 8,000 CNY
Best Screenplay: 8,000 CNY
Best Creative: 5,000 CNY
Best Communicator: 5,000 CNY
Outstanding Film: 1,000 CNY
Outstanding Director: 1,000 CNY
Outstanding Screenwriter: 1,000 CNY
Outstanding Creative: 1,000 CNY
(10) Outstanding Communicator: 1,000 CNY
10. Organizing Committee:
<1> Haikou University of Economics
<2> The World Film Institute
<3> The Organizing Committee of Korea Dajong Awards
<4> The “Belt and Road” working committee of China Film Association
<5> China Society of Srategy and Management, International Film and Television Cultural Exchange Center.
<1> Chairman--CAO Chengjie, Chairman of Haikou University of Economics.
<2> Executive Chairman--CHEN Xiao, President of Haikou University of Economics.
<3> Executive Chairman--Stephen Nia, Chairman of World Film Institute, honorary dean of Wardour Studios Academy.
<4> Executive Chairman--Kim Goo Hoi，Chairman of The Organizing Committee of Korea Dajong Awards, honorary dean of Wardour Studios Academy.
<1> GAO Xixi--famous Chinese director, honorary dean of Wardour Studios Academy.
<2> Stephen Nia--Chairman of World Film Institute, honorary dean of Wardour Studios Academy.
<3> Kim Goo Hoe --Chairman of The Organizing Committee of Korea Dajong Awards, honorary dean of Wardour Studios Academy.
<4> Abeeral Thapa--President of Polygon College, Nepal and the winner
of National Film Awards
<1> LU Haibo, from China
Professor of Central Academy of Drama,
Film and Television planner,
Chairman of Academic committee of Wardour Studios Academy.
<2> Roger Christian, from Hollywood.
Chief instructor of master class of Wardour Studios Academy.
<3> Lee Baker, from Hollywood.
Tutor of Film editing master class of Wardour Studios Academy.
<4> Jarom Sidwell, from Hollywood.
Visual effects expert from Hollywood, tutor of Visual effects Master class of Wardour Studios Academy.
<5> Han Young Mi, from South Korea
Guest professor of Wardour Studios Academy.
<6> ZHENG Kainan, from China.
<7> CHE Jingxing, from China
Distinguished academic leader in Film and Television Theory and Practice.
<8> Chua Soo Pong, from Vietnam
Professor of National Opera and Film Academy, Vietnam.
<9> LIAO Zhian, from China
Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Hunan Broadcasting and Television Station.
University students in China, will vote on-line via official website.
<1> Secretary General--ZHOU Shixing
<2> Executive Secretary—John Han
<3> Deputy Secretary--YANG Yunshu
<4> Deputy Secretary—Angelina Liu
11. Official Website
The official website of the competition is: http://casfcen.hkc.edu.cn/ Relevant information is subject to be changed by the announcement on the official website.
12. Notes for Application
(1) Way of application
Participants can log in the official website to download the Registration Form for Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week (Hereafter, the Registration Form) and the Copyright Commitment and Authorization of Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week (Hereafter, the Authorization), and send the following documents by email:
<1> The signed registration form
<2> The signed authorization
<3> Scanning copy of ID card (for Chinese citizen) or passport (for Foreign citizen) (each team member are required)
<4> Original of the Work
<5> Trailers or slots
<8> Personal or group photos of participants
Once the work is submitted, it means registration is completed. Participants can make supplements before the deadline in case there is incompleteness or error in their initial submission, otherwise the work will not be reviewed.
Designated E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) Deadline for Registration: September 22- November 5, 2020
(1) The organizers reserve the right to terminate the event or amend the rules of the events at any time. Contestants should read the Soliciting Announcement of Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week and the Copyright Commitment and Authorizations of Short Film Competition of the 3rd China-ASEAN University Students’ Culture Week carefully before registration. Once the application is completed, you will be deemed to have read and agreed to abide by the two documents above, and the rules and requirements of the competition published on the official website.
(2) Contestants are not allowed to confuse or influence the result of the competition, or have any other illegal behaviors by means of computer programs or other obvious violations of the fairness of the competition.
(3) The prize money of all relevant awards does not include various income taxes and government taxes, and taxes and fees related to the prize money of the work shall be borne by the winners. Winners must withhold the income tax amount of the award in accordance with regulations before receiving the awards.
(4) If there is any change in contact information of the participants during the submission period, please notify the organizer within 5 days and get the organizer's confirmation. Otherwise, the participants shall bear the corresponding responsibility.
14. Contact Information
(1) Secretariat of Organizing Committee
(2) Contact: John Han